Product Description: BioShield Herbal Oil is a penetrating oil primer/sealer made from raw flax oil. It is used for absorbent hardwoods as well as soft woods. As a wipe-on finish the product is also suitable for less absorbent stone, slate and concrete surfaces.
- Specifications: Herbal Oil is a sealer that creates an elastic and breathable wood grain-enhancing prime coat. It is equally functional in sealing and priming and it can be used on most unsealed woods. We also recommend Herbal Oil #2 for kitchen counter tops, salad bowls, and other surfaces in contact with food and food preparation.
- Application: Stir well before use. Herbal Oil is best applied by pad applicators or brush, but the materials being finished can also be sprayed or dipped. Surfaces should be sound, dust free, and free of contaminants such as mildew, oil, wax, adhesives, prior coatings and grease.
The maximum moisture content for softwoods should not exceed 18 percent and for hardwoods should not exceed 12 percent moisture. Very resinous woods such as teak must be cleaned with BioShield Citrus Thinner, and other exotic woods should be cleaned with an alcohol thinner (ethanol).
Best results are obtained by applying oils with a professional quality natural bristle brush. After allowing the oil to penetrate for approximately 15-25 minutes, the surface is wiped with a soft, absorbent, lint-free cotton cloth removing all excess oil from the surface. This process is repeated 24 hours later. For best absorbency all surfaces should be sanded no finer than #100. When sanding, move in the direction of the grain to prevent scratches.
Different species of wood will react differently to natural oils. Soft or porous woods such as pine, alder, birch, fir, cedar and redwood may absorb oil unevenly. A small test prior to finishing a large surface will tell you more about the material that you are working with. In case of uneven absorbency of a wood surface allow the first coat to penetrate for 10-15 minutes and apply a second coat while the oil is still wet. Sanding with wet-and-dry sandpaper or rubbing the surfaces while it is still wet with a green ‘Scotchbright’ pad may help to prevent a spotty surface. Allow the second coat to penetrate for 15 - 25 minutes, then wipe off any oil that has not penetrated into the wood with a clean, absorbent cloth.
If the wood is still absorptive, another coat may be applied after 12 - 24 hours.
- Safety Precautions: Provide for adequate ventilation when working with the product and during the drying time.
Oil-soaked rags are self-combustible and must be soaked in water and discarded wet in a water-holding container or bag. Keep away from open flame. Keep out of reach of children.
- Coverage: Depending on absorbency of surface 100-150 square feet per liter.
- Drying Time: 12-24 hours between coats, depending on climate, temperature and humidity. Product is fully cured after two to three weeks.
- Cleanup & Storage: Use BioShield Citrus Thinner for spot clean-up and for cleaning brushes and tools. Unused contents should be kept in a well sealed container in a cool, dry place. Do not store near heat or open flame. In case of spillage, use absorbent material such as sand or cat litter. Dispose of such material and other excess by drying the contents out and in accordance with local, state and federal ordinances.
- Ingredients: Flax seed Oil, VOC is less than 5 Grams/Liter. Product may be thinned up to 20% by volume with BioShield Citrus Thinner #23.
- Color: Clear to lightly amber. While enhancing the grain of the wood most natural oils will slightly deepen the color of the wood.
- Product Number and Container Sizes:
Item #1 – 0.10 Liter (3.4 Fl. Oz.) – 0.75 Liter (25.36 Fl. Oz.) – 2.50 Liter (84.44 Fl. Oz.)
Disclaimer: BioShield products are guaranteed to give satisfactory performance only if used as recommended. Liability shall be limited to refund of purchase price or the replacement of a defective product. There are no other warranties expressed or implied.